Georgia Kayak Fishing Logo
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: need to decide. please assist. Slayer vs. Cuda
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:34 pm 
Redfish

Jackson Cuda vs. Native Slayer. Bout to pick up a second boat. Deciding between these two is difficult at best.

WS Tarpon 100. New proud owner!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: need to decide. please assist. Slayer vs. Cuda
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:45 pm 
Council Member Lifetime Member

I have never paddled either - so I can't help. Sorry. But I would be interested to hear what you have felt / experienced as you have tested each. You have tested them, yes? One thing you will hear a lot here - and it is good advice - paddle before you buy. By all accounts the boats that interest you are fantastic boats, but how either fits YOU is the critical measure. :)

We don't own this place though we act as if we did. It belongs to the children of our children's kids.
- Barlow, Mydland

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:57 pm 
Council Member Lifetime Member

I have paddled the Cuda and it was so-so for me, Don't like the deck lay out and with little options for rigging . Of course I am also a die hard Native fan, my next yak will be the slayer. These are some of the reasons for my opinion.

Cuda vs. Slayer
Cuda, pro: the only thing I really like about the Cuda is the center storage. This will be great for accessing your hull storage when on the water, you can actually get your rods in there.
Cuda , Con: there is very little flat surfaceses in the right locations for custon mounting the gear I use in my fishing trips.

Slayer, Pros: plenty of rigging options, open flat deck, front storage open to easy access while on the water. Native claims that it is a fast stable yak which is almost a paradox as far as yak's go.

Slayer, cons: No inside hull storage, This is not a problem for me as I the only thing I need inside the hull is a transducer and battery for the depth sounder. every thing else is just to my taste.

Just my opinion, however I believe that the quality of the slayer excedes the Cuda any day, in fit and form. I recommend that you do your research and test before you buy...You want to be completly satisfied with your investment.

Good luck in picking the right yak for you. :D

Fishing is not simply my escape; it is where I am supposed to be, it is not a place that I go, but a lifelong journey I am taking

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:33 pm 
Benefactor Member

A review that seems pretty impartial here:

http://shop.floridapaddlesports.com/native-slayer-vs-jackson-cuda/#.UPNDPY5pecA

I haven't seen a Slayer in person yet, but the most appealing feature for me as a fly fisherman is the wide flat uncluttered deck in front of the seat. Fly line can get snagged on any edge or irregular area.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:38 pm 
Moderator Benefactor Member

I rock the Cuda. However, I would definitely have considered the Slayer had it been out. Fishing offshore, I really like the center hatch. I can keep gear in there and store fish it when needed. The rod tip cover up front also is REALLY handy for surf landing. I don't fear losing any gear in a surf landing because that rod tip holder keeps the rods down tight to the deck. Either way, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 8:52 pm 
Redfish

i can see the pros and cons of both boats ... after spending some time in both i found the cuda to be a little annoying in a couple areas. I fly fish almost exclusively and the Cuda has all kinds of hanger spots. The center hatch is about useless as a 10 foot rod may not fit in the hatch. The Slayer seat was a little more comfy to me too cause the bar on the Cuda dug into my back even though the butt was really comfy. Not sure if I like the open rear section or not as opposed to closed cause ... I am a klutz either way at times.

Leaning to the Slayer as it fits more of what I want and like to do. Never know though lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:01 am 
Moderator Benefactor Member

Go get one and take some pics. I'd love to get some seat time in a slayer to compare. Then again, I'd love to be in a Hobie PA-12 ultimately for standing to fish/fly-fish.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:13 am 
Redfish

Ivarie wrote:
Go get one and take some pics. I'd love to get some seat time in a slayer to compare. Then again, I'd love to be in a Hobie PA-12 ultimately for standing to fish/fly-fish.

If that was affordable for me ..... I would certainly consider it. 1150 is still a stretch but ... not like I wont use it lol

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:45 pm 
Lifetime Member

i like them both , but i am a Jackson guy so remember that when i speak :lol: not sure about the fit and finish remark, i have had 3 different Cudas and photo'd many more and all were just as up to snuff as any native rig i have ever been around ( i have owned 2 of them as well, ultimate and a magic 14.5) any way, if you fly fish, you REALLY need to check out the Cruise. it is based on the Cuda 12 hull but is totally bare. a clean hull to do what you want. i do not care for the center hatch because of my flyfishing so i added a Cruise to our fleet a few weeks ago and it is an outstanding boat for the long rod. it paddles great as well, even with a 250lb lardo in it :wink: it is also a good bit less expensive than the Cuda.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:31 pm 
Redfish

FERAL ONE wrote:
i like them both , but i am a Jackson guy so remember that when i speak :lol: not sure about the fit and finish remark, i have had 3 different Cudas and photo'd many more and all were just as up to snuff as any native rig i have ever been around ( i have owned 2 of them as well, ultimate and a magic 14.5) any way, if you fly fish, you REALLY need to check out the Cruise. it is based on the Cuda 12 hull but is totally bare. a clean hull to do what you want. i do not care for the center hatch because of my flyfishing so i added a Cruise to our fleet a few weeks ago and it is an outstanding boat for the long rod. it paddles great as well, even with a 250lb lardo in it :wink: it is also a good bit less expensive than the Cuda.

Looks interesting ... I have never seen one in a store though. I do like the price but without a test drive who knows lol

Profile E-mail